delta 1010,ecasound and recording to wav

Subject: delta 1010,ecasound and recording to wav
From: H. T. Hind (hirh_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 03:00:37 EET

Hello,

I've a Delta 1010 card in RH9 Linux box, running ccrma's RH
kernel, JACK and ecasound 2.3.
I'm able to record using the above samples directly to mp3 files
on at least 3 channels. As someone suggested on this list,
encoding to mp3 on the fly chews up a lot of CPU which might
result in Xruns. To avoid that, I'm trying to record to a wav
file at a lower bitrate.
Is there a way that I can record to a lower rate ?

Here is what I'm currently trying -

ecasound -f:32,1,44100 -G:jack,ecasound,recv -a:1 -i jack -o
~/1.wav -a:2 -i jack -o ~/2.wav -a:3 -i jack -o
~/3.wav -a:4 -i jack -o ~/4.wav

I'm running the above as root and I want to be able to record to
say 8bit at 11Khz or 22 Khz. If I'm recording mostly voice then
any recommendation of what would be the best setting ? If I'm
recording a combination of voice and music, then any suggestion
on what settings to use ?

Is there a way to get ecasound to start writing to another file
while still recording ? Ideally, I'd like to have the ecasound
process start recording and then write to another file(s) at a
configurable amount of time. Is it possible ?

TIA,

--
hth