Re: [ecasound] Coding for ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Coding for ecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 23:36:18 EEST

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 bart_AT_solozone.com wrote:

> I too add my input. I want to check to see if there is
> CLIPPING, using meterbridge or ecasignalview, and then to
> STOP and output "you must record again". This seems to be
> in the spirit of Mr Nolan Darilek's question.

Add a "-evp" operator to each chain and periodically query the peak value.
If the peak equals to 1.0 (or is very close to it), the chain is clipping.
For an example, see ecasound/ecatools/ecasignalview.cpp. The basic idea
is:

cop-add -evp
copp-select 1
value = copp-get
if (value > 0.95):
    print "Signal clipping!"

... if the chain has multiple channels, you need to query the peak value
for each channel separately (copp-select 1 + copp-get, copp-select 2,
copp-get, and so on).