RE: [ecasound] need some buffering advice

Subject: RE: [ecasound] need some buffering advice
From: Jamie Lutch (jlutch_AT_altairinc.com)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 03:09:06 EEST

> No dithering, but the data is converted from 32bit integers to
> 32bit float
> and then back to 24bit integers.

the question being, is the 24bit file recorded bii-for-bit identical to the
24-bit input source? seems so, but I figure I'd ask.

> > 2. in the case I need to use -z:db, 100000, I am confused by
> this statement:
> [...]
> > "The default is'-z:nodb,100000', which is 100000 samples of buffering
> > per non-realtime audio object (files, pipes, etc). For 32bit,
> 2ch audio this
> > means 0.8MB of buffering per audio object... in other words
> quite a lot."
> [...]
> > so 100000 samples of buffering is not the same as 100000 samples,
> > apparently. it seems from your statement that a 'sample of
> buffer' is 8KB.
> > is this fixed, or is it a function of the soundcard buffer size?
>
> Why do you say that? 0.8MB equals to 820kB, which is hundred times more
> than 8kB.

oops, that should have said 8 bytes

checking the math
8 bytes * 100000 'buffer samples' = 800000 bytes =~ the 820 kb you quote

so by this logic, 8.2 bytes per logical 'buffer sample' or about 64 bits per
sample, 32 bits per channel, ok, I got it, nevermind...

Hmm, so -z:intbuf/-z:nointbuf and -b:X options control