ecasound seems to always create a massive XRUN, and only one

Subject: ecasound seems to always create a massive XRUN, and only one
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall_AT_maoz.com)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 21:01:03 EEST

Hi,

Over the last few months, I have noticed that ecasound, when running under
jack, will run for a while, then create a massive XRUN that lasts for
hundreds of miliseconds, and then is fine for the rest of the time it
runs. It can be as simple as

ecasound -i jack_alsa,in -o jack_alsa,out

I've tried to add the -r:3 parameter, to try to instruct it to run at less
than priority of jack, but it still seems to make the XRUN. Even if
ecasound is running, but not attached to ardour, the presence of it in the
jack system can cause a XRUN to occur. Does anybody else see this?

also I can't connect ports with jack_connect if frames_per_cycle is < 256,
but if ardour tries to connect the ports, they will connect and both
ecasound and ardour can run happily at frames_per_cycle == 128 and
sometimes 64 if you're lucky.

I'm running 2.5.75-MM1, but have seen it with older kernels as well. I'm
using the anticipatory scheduling elevator, but have experimented with CFQ
and not been able to tell any majour differences except that I seem to get
slightly worse performance with CFQ but can't really quantify that.

_J