meterbrige ecasignalview clipping

Subject: meterbrige ecasignalview clipping
From: Bart Alberti (bart_AT_solozone.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 06:42:20 EEST

I got jackd working with jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -v
also meterbridge with -t vu [or ppm etc] -n jack_alsa alsa_pcm:capture_1
ecasound pops in to it with
ecasound -f:32,1,48000 -i:jack_alsa -o:myfile.wav
and I record a simple test file OK
but if I use ecasignalview in this setup I am told OSS busy, invalid etc.
I just tried ecamegapedal which I like very much but I prefer to script and
batch process since what I do is record voice samples for a speech synthesis
project and I am trying to stop the clipping that occurs when the pre-amp
external break out boxes are not set properly or get re-set by accident.
Ideally I would like to output a message that "you are clipping; please
re-record the sample." Thus I need to get the message that comes from
meterbridge or ecasignalview (if I could get it in tandem with the real time
input)
Thus it is essential to have a volume meter and preferably a scripting
mechanism to go through a whole set of files to be recorded from audio
prompt which my speaker is supposed to repeat. These then get processed but
must not be clipped. Filters will be applied.
Any ideas. Do I make sense.?

Bart Alberti
bart_AT_solozone.com