more transport clients (fwd)

Subject: more transport clients (fwd)
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 00:46:46 EEST

FYI...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:45:11 +0300 (EEST)
From: Kai Vehmanen <kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi>
To: jackit-devel_AT_lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: more transport clients

I just released Ecamegapedal 0.4.3 with support for the new transport API.
I decided to release it as stable, as there are no direct dependencies
to any JACK interfaces. You'll need to compile against the recent
ecasound-2.2.4 snapshots to enable the transport stuff. The latest files
are at:

   http://ecasound.seul.org/download/ecamegapedal-0.4.3.tar.gz
   http://ecasound.seul.org/download/ecasound-2.2.4-snapshot20030821.tar.gz

The snapshot was also just released. All the real-time tools in the
Ecasound package (ecasound, ecaplay, ecasignalview) now support transport
operation.

Otherwise I've been continuing transport testing and so far everything has
gone smoothly. As I'm writing this, I'm running SoundTracker, Jamin,
Ecasound, Ecamegapedal, jack_transport and jack_showtime, all running in
perfect sync. If I play through a list of oggs with "ecaplay -o:jack_alsa
*.mp3", all the apps will nicely follow the playlist position and
state (well, excect ST as it only implements master mode).

Couple of times I've thought I've found a bug in JACK side, but so far all
of them have been client bugs. ;) One odd case is performing sequence of
jack_disconnect()s and then a jack_deactivate(). This causes strangely
long timeouts in the subgraph. Oh well, I've not been able to trace down
what causes this. In any case, just issuing jack_deactivate() (all ports
are disconnected in any case) seeems to solve the problem.

As for for complex use-scenarios, distributed multitracking is still under
testing. The basic stuff works already, but I'm still suffering from minor
recording offset/sync errors. I'll have to find out which component(s) is
causing this. Primary suspect is the recorder as this is quite a new
use-case for it (monitor material coming from other apps instead from a
file).

I guess that was it. I'll continue testing...