Re: [ecasound] MMC fun

Subject: Re: [ecasound] MMC fun
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 21:23:55 EEST

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, janne halttunen wrote:

>> Hmm, this might a good change. It's too bad that the MMC specs are not
>> freely available. There are quite a few web pages about MMC, but none of
>> the ones I've found describe the exact semantics of "play" and "deferred
>> play". Oh well, initially I wanted to use MMC for synchronized triggering
> dictionary gives meaning of "postponed play". does it mean that, "it
> doesn't matter if you missed the cue point, just start playing, dammit!"
> hmm?

Based on explanations on jackit-devel and lad, deferred play basicly means
start playing as soon as you are ready (i.e. after you've seeked to the
correct position). In many examples 'deferred-play' is preceded by a
'locate' command. It's unclear whether at least one locate is required, or
other restrictions apply to use of 'deferred-play'. I unfortunately don't
have any MIDI gear that understands incoming MMC. My Rm1x can send MMC,
but that's about it. :(