Re: [ecasound] MMC fun

Subject: Re: [ecasound] MMC fun
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 12:48:51 EEST

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:54:30 +0300 (EEST)
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, janne halttunen wrote:
>
> > now then, enter midi. found out that muse is a fine midi sequencer, at
> > least it seems so. but when it's put in MMC slave mode and ecasound is
> > set to send it the signal, it's a no go.
>
> Hmm, how have you connected the two (raw midi through ALSA sequencer,
> external connection or something else)...?

aconnectgui was showing connection with ecasound's midi-device and virtual midi-device that was selected in muse. many different setups were tested. however the correct one was not hit. :)

> > ran ecasound with debug, found out that midi server isn't started at
> > all, even though it says so in the start messages:
>
> The quickest way around ist to add "-Md:rawmidi,/dev/midi" to the
> command-line. Here "midi_devices" refer to drivers capable of
> transmitting/receiving MIDI (like /dev/midi).

yes, it seems to work. no need recompiling then.

> > also if some app needs "deferred play" instead of "play" MMC message,
> > should this be addressed and how? (time for another EDI? :)
>
> Hmm, this might a good change. It's too bad that the MMC specs are not
> freely available. There are quite a few web pages about MMC, but none of
> the ones I've found describe the exact semantics of "play" and "deferred
> play". Oh well, initially I wanted to use MMC for synchronized triggering
> of different clients, so that's why I chose plain "play". But, but,
> "deferred play" might just do the same thing one devices which are
> fast seekers (like hw-sequencers).

dictionary gives meaning of "postponed play". does it mean that, "it doesn't matter if you missed the cue point, just start playing, dammit!" hmm?

it would still be strange for clients to ignore plain "play" message.

> > MMC message is normally 2, which means "play" in MMC. number 3 means
> > "deferred play", which possibly would work better with muse.
>
> Yep, you can test this with:
>
> ecasound/libecasound/midi-server.cpp:
> - send_mmc_command(0x02);
> + send_mmc_command(0x03);