Re: [ecasound] Toruble with audio recording

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Toruble with audio recording
From: Captain Boiler (cbauer-@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 21:41:01 EEST

Hi Uwe,

hmmmm, now its getting more complicated...

Normally, mixer programs check the controls the soundcard (respectively the
soundcard driver module) is offering and display these controls. Often, the free
linux drivers don't implement all features the soundcard hardware provides,
but switches which aren't displayed normally are not needed for the usual
applications. So if you don't see controls like the ones I wrote about, they
don't seem to exist/be necessary for your set up, and the reason for your
problem still lies somewhere else. I've re-read your mail, if you always get
a file with 44K full of zeros, no matter how long you let the process run,
it's most probably not a mixer problem. Hmmm.

but just for comparison, on one machine I use 'gamix' for a Creative Soundblaster
Audigy card. It displays a hell lot of switches. gamix ( a gui clone of the
alsamixer) works only if you use the ALSA drivers (emu10k1 for the Creative
Audigy card, e.g.).
On an old notebook with onboard Maestro 2E I use the OSS drivers
(adressing the card via the /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer nodes), ALSA doesn't work
for the Maestro, OSS does but records with reduced quality. To control
the card, I use 'smix', it shows just a simple set of controls.

Do you use the real OSS drivers or just the ALSA-OSS-emulation? Try to
stick with the pure implementations, either pure OSS or pure ALSA. Have you tried
 the command:

$> ecasignalview /dev/dsp test.wav ?

If you see the ASCII-graphics vu-meter display something, then you really receive
a signal.

-Carsten