Re: [ecasound] Two chains is one too many (do I need bigger iron?)

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Two chains is one too many (do I need bigger iron?)
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 00:28:00 EEST

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Joel Roth wrote:

> Ecasound running on my 400MHz Celeron PC can
[...]
> However setting up two chains, one for recording
> and one for a monitoring, causes massively unnacceptable xruns.

This is probably caused by something else than lack of sufficient
cpu/disk/memory resources. I've been using ecasound for multitrack
recording on my old Pentium-166Mhz and succesfully recorded lots of music.

> ecasound -c -r -X -b:4096 -f:s16_le,1,44100,n \
> -a:monitor -i:backing.wav -o:/dev/dsp \
> -a:record -i:/dev/dsp -o:lead.wav

Try first replacing "-b:4096" with "-b:1024 -z:intbuf" and then with
"-b:1024 -z:nointbuf".

> This is a recent (2.2.3) version of ecasound, alsa 0.9.4,
> 2.4.21-rc7 kernel with low-latency patches.

If you are using ALSA, I recommend using the ALSA devices directly, i.e.
replace "/dev/dsp" with "alsa,default".