Re: [ecasound] problems? with "ecasound -c -s song.ecs"

Subject: Re: [ecasound] problems? with "ecasound -c -s song.ecs"
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 16:52:49 EEST

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Al Oomens wrote:

> When I run ecasound with the following file
> (song2.ecs) as "ecasound -c -s sound2.ecs" Note, this
[...]
> -a:1 -i rythm.wav -ea:140 -epp:50 -el:unmatched,
> -el:freeverb3,0,0.278,0.113,0.414,0.586,0.173
> -a:2 -i lead.wav -ea:62 -epp:50 -el:preamp,1.05
> -el:valveRect,0.711,0.237
> -el:freeverb3,0,0.368,0.226,0.481,0.444,0.259
> -a:1,2 -o alsahw,0,0

Hmm, on my setup the above fails because of "-el:freeverb3" as there's no
such plugin installed on my system (only freeverb1). More errors came from
'-el:unmatched," and "-el:preamp", which I also don't have. If I removed
those from the setup, then it worked fine.

In any case this revealed another issue, the parse errors were ignored
altogether by ecasound so it wasn't very straightforward to find out that
freeverb3 was the cause. In addition, in some cases, even if the parsing
failed and the failure detected, ecasound continued to try creating a
valid chainsetup (-s:xx fails -> try generating a csetup from command-line
options; addition of default output). These actions unfortunately hide the
actual problems.

These are quite serious flaws in ecasound. I've now made a few fixes to
chainsetup parsing and committed them to CVS. I believe this will
significantly improve ecasound's usability. Let me know how the changes
work for you.

But, but, back to your issue, if you remove all the invalid plugins (or
you really have them installed) and it still doesn't work, then I'm at
loss of what could cause the problem you describe.