Re: [ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] Using a second device

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] Using a second device
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 14:24:57 EEST

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Anthony wrote:

> This works great. I just tried:
> ecasound jack_auto,metro -o alsa,default
[...]
> Maybe I don't understand jack_auto, but I would of expected to hear this
> in the left channel, not the right.

And you should. I did the same test and the metronome is on the left.Check
the connections with "jack_lsp -c" (and you cables :)).

Anyway, the whole syntax is 'jack_auto,client'. It causes ecasound to
register a set of JACK ports and connect those to the ports of 'client'.
You can change the number of ports/channels registered with ecasound -f
option:

# register just one channel
ecasound -f:32,1,44100 -i jack_auto,metro -o alsa,default

# register 10 channels
ecasound -f:32,10,44100 -i jack_auto,metro -o alsa,default

By default the format is "-f:16,2,44100" (you can change this by editing
~/.ecasound/ecasoundrc), so ecasound registers two ports. As 'metro' only
has one port, only the first one is connected to ecasound.

PS If you leave the "_auto" out, ecasound just registers its ports,
   but doesn't make any connections.