Re: [ecasound] (fwd) Re: ports/50858: compile of ecasound-2.2.2 fails with undeclared functions

Subject: Re: [ecasound] (fwd) Re: ports/50858: compile of ecasound-2.2.2 fails with undeclared functions
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 03:11:44 EEST

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> well, I for one found it annoying to have to go find out why my install
> failed after I had explicitly said --prefix=/home/jhall so my concerns
> are:

The trouble is that if you install python modules anywhere else than to
those directories reported by the python binary, they won't be usable (at
least not without further hacking like requiring users to define
PYTHONPATH to find pyecasound after installation).

So we have two approaches:

1) not install any python stuff by default

2) install python stuff to a directory that is not known by the
   python interpreter

... neither seems very good. :(

> 1: ecasound is trying to write to some space outside of --prefix, that
> should be a no-no.

See (2) above.

> 2: ecasound is trying to write outside of prefix space and does not have
> permission to do so. If I WERE running as root, it had successfully
> installed whatever it needed in /usr and I had specified /usr/local, then
> if /usr/local is an NFS mount, some machines might not have all the needed
> stuff and I would have no idea it had even touched my /usr space. Having
> it complain due to permissions alerted me to its misbehaving.

Yes, this is true. But, but, specifying /usr/local is not enough to find
out where to put the python stuff. This is why we have the
--with-python-modules option.

> 3: it should just build out of the box and determine whether it will be
> able to write into some pithon directory. If so, it should make you

Ignoring installation errors in not a good idea either (might hide real
bugs in the build scripts).

> confirm writing to something outside of prefix space, if not it should
> warn that some modules will not properly run and possibly confirm, because
> stuff goes zooming by so rapidly you'll miss it. I can't count the times

Ecasound's configure already prints out the python isntallation locations
in its configure summary. It's then user's responsibility to run "make
install" with sufficient privileges to install files to those
directories.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome. I'd really like to solve this problem
before the next release.