Re: [ecasound] (fwd) Re: ports/50858: compile of ecasound-2.2.2 fails with undeclared functions

Subject: Re: [ecasound] (fwd) Re: ports/50858: compile of ecasound-2.2.2 fails with undeclared functions
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall_AT_maoz.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 23:58:18 EEST

In the new year, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2003, Jeremy Hall wrote:
>
> > well with CVS on Friday I tried to build ecasound from scratch and
> > --disable-pyecasound and make install failed because it wanted to change
> > permissions on /usr/lib/pyton-1.something/site-packages (and I wasn't root
> > and I was installing in $HOME/)
>
> Ugh, this is true. --disable-pyecasound disables compiling pyecasound, but
> it does not skip installing the native pyeca files. Any ideas how to
> handle this - should --disable-pyecasound disable all python stuff, or
> should we add another option for that. To me the latter option sounds
> slighly better.
>
> Or maybe even better would be, --disable--pyecasound (all python stuff)
> and --enable-pyecasound-c-impl (?) to compile the C extension module.

well, I for one found it annoying to have to go find out why my install
failed after I had explicitly said --prefix=/home/jhall so my concerns
are:

1: ecasound is trying to write to some space outside of --prefix, that
should be a no-no.

2: ecasound is trying to write outside of prefix space and does not have
permission to do so. If I WERE running as root, it had successfully
installed whatever it needed in /usr and I had specified /usr/local, then
if /usr/local is an NFS mount, some machines might not have all the needed
stuff and I would have no idea it had even touched my /usr space. Having
it complain due to permissions alerted me to its misbehaving.

3: it should just build out of the box and determine whether it will be
able to write into some pithon directory. If so, it should make you
confirm writing to something outside of prefix space, if not it should
warn that some modules will not properly run and possibly confirm, because
stuff goes zooming by so rapidly you'll miss it. I can't count the times
I have gone

what was ... (as it zooms off the screen and out of the scrollback buffer)

oh well, probably wasn't important, wasn't fatal. wierd that it should
complain like that.

_J