Re: [ecasound] problems compiling 2.2.2

Subject: Re: [ecasound] problems compiling 2.2.2
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 19:43:39 EEST

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Jan Stary wrote:

> The ./configure script seems to ignore/not understand the --enable's and
> --disable's for ALSA and Python. Running just './configure' autodetects
> ALSA (and others) correctly, but saying --enable-alsa results in 'ALSA
> support: no'. Running --disable-pyecasound doesn't stop the script
> checking for python.h (and complaining, because I don't have Python
> installed). Relevant pieces of output are <EOF

The ALSA thing is a bug, as --enable-alsa does not work (the result is
identical to giving --disable-alsa).

--disable-pyecasound has the same bug (--disable-pyecasound and
--enable-pyecasound cause the same result), but with an additional new bug
in 2.2.2 that causes --disable-pyecasound to fail if python-devel files
are found (... pyecasound will be built even with the disable option).

> $ ./configure --disable-pyecasound --enable-sys-readline
> pyecasound: yes # I SAID NO

So to get around this specific problem is to compile without
--disable-pyecasound. This should work on your machine, as you don't have
the python-devel files installed.

> But then, after the successful make, I su (I compile as user, under
> /usr/local/src/ecasound-2.2.2), and 'make install' fails again, because
> of unknown target (!), which is something rotten in Denmark; or the build

This is caused (hopefully) by the previous problem.