.ecs file format?

Subject: .ecs file format?
From: Al Oomens (aloomens_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 21:18:23 EET

I have searched through the docs and tutorials, and
looked though a lot of the mailing list archives, and
I can't find an explainantion of the format for .ecs
files. I've reached the point where I am trying to
actually do some things with ecasound (I'm past the
playing around with it stage :-), and I can certainly
see the value of saving things to files.

Can the chain setup be on multiple lines? I assume all
the examples, which show a '\' at the end of each line
are examples of command line use, correct?

.ecs files are just text files that I create right?
What can and cannot be included in them?

Does it matter where I specify plugins or effect
presets? It seems that it works some ways but not
others. And is the order of effects and preset
significant? In other words, if I put a compressor
preset before a preamp plugin, does the compressor
affect the level going into the preamp plugin in the
same way that a 'real' compressor would affect a 'real
preamp?

If there is a doc, that I have just overlooked
somewhere, please just let me know. Thanks.