Re: [ecasound] Differant alsa inputs ..

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Differant alsa inputs ..
From: Julien Patrick Claassen (julien_AT_c-lab.de)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 22:22:01 EET

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, C.Lee Taylor wrote:

> Greetings again ...
>
> I has hoping soembody could explain the differance, if there is one?
> ... between ...
>
> -i alsahw,0,1
> or
> -i alsa,default
> or
> -i alsaplugin,1

  alsaplugin let's you do something like:
  ecasound -i alsaplugin,0,1 ...
  And you don't need to specify format (-f) parameters. Because the alsaplugin
input keeps count of channels and so on... With alsa you select named
pcm-devices. Thus you really CAN do:
  ecasound -i alsa,default ...
  I still didn't totally figure out, how to work this though. But aplay -L
gives you a list of all named pcm-devices. But I've seen it, it looks really
ugly. But once you're fmailiar with it it's ok too.
  The alsahw-audio-object finally directly accesses alsa-devices and
subdevices. But you need to care for bytes, channel-count, samplingrate...
Sometimes this might be what you want. For example with my card it is the best
to do.
  In general if you find a syntax for all three of them, which means the same,
you can choose. I think then there is no difference in the result.
  Kindest regards
           Julien

> I know they select differant inputs, but which is better to use between
> alsa, alsahw and alsaplugin?
>
> Thanks
> Mailed
> Lee

> message to <ecasound-list-request_AT_wakkanet.fi>.

Julien Patrick Claassen
jclaassen_AT_gmx.de
julien_AT_c-lab.de
http://www.geocities.com/jjs_home