Reading from OSS device that does not support full duplex ?

Subject: Reading from OSS device that does not support full duplex ?
From: Kristof Pelckmans (Kristof.Pelckmans_AT_antwerpen.be)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 11:33:25 EET

Hi all,

I'm trying to read an audio signal from my BT878 tv card into jack using
ecasound. Using SOX to connect the audio from the tv card to the alsa/OSS
simulation this works smoothly :
sox -w -r 32000 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp3 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp

Now I tried to read from the same input, outputting to jack :
ecasound -f:16,2,32000,i -i:/dev/dsp3 -o:jack
* ecasound v2.2.1 (C) 1997-2003 Kai Vehmanen
- [ Session created ] ------------------------------------------------------
- [ Chainsetup created (cmdline) ] -----------------------------------------
- [ Connecting chainsetup ] ------------------------------------------------
(eca-chainsetup) 'rtlowlatency' buffering mode selected.
(audioio-oss) Warning: OSS-device doesn't support SNDCTL_DSP_SETTRIGGER!
(eca-control) ERROR: Connecting chainsetup failed: "Enabling chainsetup:
AUDIOIO-OSS: general OSS-error SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT"

Reading through the archives, I conclude that this error is due to the fact
that ecasound is trying to open the msp3400 chip on my tv-card in full duplex
mode. However, this is not supported since this is a tv-card (only record, no
playback).

Hence my question : can you force ecasound not to open in full duplex ?

Thanks !

Kristof