Re: [ecasound] now I'm confused .. ecasound does record but not play

Subject: Re: [ecasound] now I'm confused .. ecasound does record but not play
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 10:47:40 EET

First of all, greetings from ladmeet03! I had lots of fun there and had
many interesting discussions with other lad people. I'm certain that this
event will have a very positive effect on linux audio, and especially
getting developers to cooperate even more than now. Links to the material
from the event:
        http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/eventszkm2003.php3
        http://www.ima.zkm.de/lad03
        http://on1.zkm.de/zkm/stories/storyReader$3041

Ok, now on to the actual issue...

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, The Eye wrote:

> OK folks, here goes .. up until today, I was running alsa0.9.0rc3 or
> something like that and an ecasound cvs version from some time ago,
> 2.2.0rc1 or some such. everything was fine.

What soundcard?

> So I tried ecasound. ecasignalview and ecasound as a recording tool
> worked just like before, only ecaplay and also just ecasound -i:somefile
> -o:alsa,default just gave me a hanging console (could only be freed with
> killall -9 ecasound, killall ecasound wouldn't do).

How about "ecasound -i:foo.wav -o:/dev/dsp" (i.e. ALSA's OSS emulation)?
Or "ecasound -i:foo.wav -o:alsahw,0,0"?

> Oh yes, while I'm at it (mailing, that is): ecanormalize doesn't work
> for me and never has. I always get an error like:
[...]
> eye_AT_lormoral blumenau $ ecanormalize test.raw
> ---
> Error while creating temporary directory "ecatools-". Exiting...

That means ecanormalize was unable to create the temporary directory in
/tmp for processing. Try "USER=myaccount ecanormalize foo.wav", where
myaccount is the username you are logged in with. Or if that doesn't work,
try a different tmpdir: "TMPDIR=/home/myaccount/tmp ecanormalize foo.wav".