now I'm confused .. ecasound does record but not play

Subject: now I'm confused .. ecasound does record but not play
From: The Eye (the.eye_AT_gmx.li)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 17:55:52 EET

OK folks, here goes .. up until today, I was running alsa0.9.0rc3 or
something like that and an ecasound cvs version from some time ago,
2.2.0rc1 or some such. everything was fine.

Since I saw on alsa-project homepage today that a new alsa-version was
out, I installed new alsa-driver and libs and everything .. mpg123 and
ogg123 and aplay and arecord work just nicely.

So I tried ecasound. ecasignalview and ecasound as a recording tool
worked just like before, only ecaplay and also just ecasound -i:somefile
-o:alsa,default just gave me a hanging console (could only be freed with
killall -9 ecasound, killall ecasound wouldn't do).

So I thought maybe I need to recompile ecasound with new alsa-libs ..
so, while I was at it, I downloaded ecasound 2.2.1 and ran
./configure --with-largefile --disable-oss --disable-arts --disable-jack
--disable-pyecasound

and then make -j 10 and make install ..
everything went smooth, or so it seems.

recording stuff works fine.
looking at the signal with ecasignalview works fine.
playing stuff either via ecaplay or via ecasound -i:somefile
-o:alsa,default just doesn't.

I tried with wav, raw, mp3 and ogg files. no luck.

I know that recording works since I can play the resulting files with
aplay just fine .. but this is annoying!

what I get when I attempt playing is a screen like the following:

eye_AT_lormoral blumenau $ ecasound -i:testamp.raw -o:alsa,default
* ecasound v2.2.1 (C) 1997-2003 Kai Vehmanen
- [ Session created ] ------------------------------------------------------
- [ Chainsetup created (cmdline) ] -----------------------------------------
- [ Connecting chainsetup ] ------------------------------------------------
(eca-chainsetup) 'rt' buffering mode selected.
(eca-chainsetup) Audio object "testamp.raw", mode "read".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
(eca-chainsetup) Audio object "alsa", mode "write".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
- [ Chainsetup connected ] -------------------------------------------------
(eca-controller) Connected chainsetup: "command-line-setup".
- [ Controller/Starting batch processing ] ---------------------------------
- [ Engine init - Driver start ] -------------------------------------------
(eca-engine) Prefilling i/o buffers.
Killed

(the "killed" is from 30 seconds later when I killed the process from
another console ...)

shouldn't it say "Audio object "alsa", mode "read/write" here instead of
mode "write"???

well anyway, I'm kinda desperate .. I need this to work again. If I need
to supply more info, please tell me which.

Oh yes, while I'm at it (mailing, that is): ecanormalize doesn't work
for me and never has. I always get an error like:

eye_AT_lormoral blumenau $ ecanormalize test.raw

---
Error while creating temporary directory "ecatools-". Exiting...

strange, huh?

anyway, wish you a nice rest-of-this-sunday. -- Michael Hellwig aka The Eye olymp.idle.at admin check out http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csaa5128 for gpg public key and don't hesitate to look at http://laerm.or.at