Re: [ecasound] CVS problem

Subject: Re: [ecasound] CVS problem
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 21:32:35 EET

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, William Goldsmith wrote:

> Sorry - meant to say RedHat 8.0. It's gcc 3.2 - which I've used to build
> ecasound successfully before, so I really don't think that's the issue. The

As the first thing, check 'config.log', search for the <map> check and see
what went wrong.

Next, check that you have gcc-c++ and libstdc++ packages installed on your
system (rpms that come with rh8).

> only thing I can think of that is different on this system is that I ended
> up having to move /usr/lib to a different disk partition (long story...). I
> symlinked it back to its proper location, which should work fine, right?

Now this could be a problem. Generally replacing top-level system
directories with symlinks is a bad idea. If you must separate these
directories, I recommended using mounts (i.e. put /usr/lib stuff to a
separate partition and mount that as /usr/lib).

The core of the problem is that symlinks don't work correctly for both
ways. If you have a relative symlink in /usr/lib (e.g.
../../../include/foo -> should go to /usr/lib/include/foo), you will break
these if /usr/lib is a symlink. Instead of /usr/lib, the ../../.. will end
up in some totally different directory. And there are quite a few of these
in many linux distros. On my machine:

###| /usr/lib |$ find . -type l -ls |grep "../" |wc --lines
    362

.. i.e. 362 relative symlinks in /usr/lib that potentially break if you
replace /usr/lib with a symlink.

As a very nasty work-around, you can link directories under /usr with
symlinks to the directory where the /usr/lib is now physically located in
your machine.