Re: [ecasound] CVS problem

Subject: Re: [ecasound] CVS problem
From: Mikko Nummelin (mnummeli_AT_cc.hut.fi)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 12:12:50 EET

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

>> I'm trying to install ecasound from cvs on a stock RedHat server system, &
>> am getting this error:

>> configure: error: C++ header files not found! Searched for '<map>' (STL).
>>
>> Hadn't run into that before & I can't locate an RPM for the C++ headers.
>> All of the paths are the normal RedHat defaults. Any ideas? I need to use
>> cvs, as the current tarball still has the short-fade-times bug, right?

> I think you need to specify which version of stock RedHat system, because
> stock RedHat systems vary very much between versions :)

> I'll first try checking the compiler versions, though, with
> gcc --version

First, C++ headers are part of complete gcc-package. However, some RedHat
versions suffer from a buggy version of gcc, whose version number is 2.96.
If you have that version, you should download the gcc-source of the most
popular and very stabile version 2.95.3 from a GNU mirror. Do _not_ take
the gcc-sources from your RedHat CD:s! After downloading the correct
source code, you should pay attention to its installation instructions and
install at least C and C++. RedHat's gcc 2.96 is not so faulty it couldn't
compile 2.5.93.
Another possibility is that you do have some 3.x -version of gcc. Although
they are becoming more and more popular, again it should be noted that
they are _known_ to be broken in some awkward ways. For example, if you
build Mozilla web browser with gcc 3.x, you are in trouble as that Mozilla
won't accept Java plugins from Sun! Therefore I recommend downgrading to
2.5.93 from 3.x:s as well.

Mikko Nummelin