Re: [ecasound] Network streaming with ecssound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Network streaming with ecssound
From: smoerk (smoerk_AT_gmx.de)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 20:51:10 EET

i'm also very interested in it (especially with a working ecasound for windows).

jack doesn't send data over tcp/ip (but paul davis it could be implemented). the
icecast protocol is also not very useful for raw pcm data, it's just a http
style login procedure for sending a password and a mountpoint.

protocols which made for raw pcm are NAS and EsounD. i successfully sent audio
from a linux application to a windows esound server (java server from
www.jcraft.com).

what works very nice for us is the streamin~ and streamout~ externals for pd, we
are using it regularly.

could you explain it more detailed what are you wanting to do, I see different
possibilities to implement this feature:

1. directly in ecasound
2. as ladspa plugin (don't know if this could work)
3. as externel program which connects to ecasound via stdin/stdout
4. write a jack client, which listens to the port or send data

i would prefer a jack client (or a ladpsa plugin), because you could easily
connect audio from different apps on different machines with it.

smoerk