Re: [ecasound] Ecasound as an editing tool

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Ecasound as an editing tool
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid_AT_tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 19:13:04 EET

On Tue, 03 Dec 2002, Mario Lang <mlang_AT_delysid.org> wrote:

> Mikko Nummelin <mnummeli_AT_cc.hut.fi> writes:
>
> >> I'm blind, and therefore I can't use X or GUI. It's a
> >> problem that all software I know about like SoundForge is GUI.
> >
> > That really makes life difficult in some occasions. It is however
> > interesting, that the technology nowadays is so advanced that it has made
> > it possible for blind people to use computers,
>
> Blind people use PCs and other computers since around 1980.
>
> > send and read emails and browse the Internet.
>
> It's still frustrating to see most major applications
> go the GUI only way. Linux-audio is a good bad example.
> I ranted on lad recently about this, ecasound is really the
> only app which is very nice for blind people. But let alone
Which explains why there are so many of us on this list. :)
> ssm, gdam or the glame gui. Well cglame works, but
> who is fluent enough in scheme to make it useful?
Frustrating? I'd rather say worrying... Those who develop apps in
Unix-like environments have the unique possibility to create libraries
which can interface with both a GUI and a CLI front-end, but most of
them don't. I have nothing in particular against GUI's (except perhaps
that I wouldn't use them myself for most applications) but seeing how
some are so eager to "level up" with windows that they adopt the
"bloated" way of doing things really scares me.

To get back on-topic...

I've long thought that a script could easily be written to simplify
cut-n-paste operations with ecasound but have never gotten around to
tinkering with it, having no great application for massive cut-n-paste
at the moment myself.
Anyway, the idea is to create a simple interface which would allow one
to control the stream (play, fw, rw, stop) and then let one put
"markers" wherever one pleases; markers being variables containing the
exact absolute time at which they occur in the stream. It would then
become simple enough to export (copy), remove (cut), or insert (paste)
data between two markers.
Just an idea...

S.