Re: [ecasound] Future request for ecasound . . . maybe???

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Future request for ecasound . . . maybe???
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 10:29:13 EET

Hi Justin,

Justin Rosander wrote:

<...>

> Anyways, to my request . . .
>
> I understand many of the effects on ecasound can't really be used in a full
> duplex situation--i.e.- ecasound -r -b:256 -i:/dev/dsp -o:/dev/dsp

<...>

> Now is there a reason why ecasound currently doesn't like to apply effects
> in full duplex mode? If this can be changed, that would be great! If not,
> then that's fine. I'll still use this great software for my recording
> purposes. I'm just proposing an idea to further expand ecasound's
> usefulness.

Exactly what is it that you are trying to that made you think ecasound
doesn't like full-duplex? Ecasound is generally quite happy doing in/out
effect mixing.

Some effects like timestretching/reversing are really hard to implement
(read impossible) for realtime usage. Apart from this type of effects,
ecasound does process in realtime, full duplex, just fine.

I'm a guitarist myself and I have used ecasound in realtime more than
once to conjure some wierd effects.

Pick up som LADSPA packs with effect plugins if you want more to choose
from. There are links at www.ladspa.org.

Regards,
Robert