Re: [ecasound] Underruns

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Underruns
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 22:13:56 EET

On 14 Nov 2002, Nolan J. Darilek wrote:

> ecasound -i piano.wav -ge:5,5,0
> . . .
> (eca-engine) Prefilling i/o buffers.
> (audioio-db-client) Warning! Underrun in reading from "piano.wav". Trying to recover.
> (audioio-db-client) Warning! Underrun in reading from "piano.wav". Trying to recover.
> (audioio-db-client) Warning! Underrun in reading from "piano.wav". Trying to recover.

When this error occurs, the double-buffer between non-real-time objects
(usually files) and the engine has underflowed. In other words reading
from or writing to the disk has been too slow.

Double-buffering is enabled by default in 2.2.0, while in 2.0.x and
earlier it was optional (-z:db). Historically -z:db has caused quite a lot
of trouble, so it's not suprising if few new ones are found once more
people start to use 2.2.0. It's therefore possible that you've found bugs
in -z:db.

First thing to try is to run the failing setup with -z:nodb. You can also
try adjusting the -z:db size... try for instance -z:db,25000 and
-z:db,200000.

> to surface in interactive mode; I was looping a wave, attempting to
> correctly set the starting position and chain length, and an underrun
> caused the timing to be off.

What looping mechanism did you use... -tl or .ewf files? -tl + -z:db is a
bit problematic combination (there will be a clear, possibly long delay
when the loop restarts).