Re: [ecasound] boolean and small-choice values?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] boolean and small-choice values?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 05:29:47 EEST

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Mario Lang wrote:

>> cop-register), and 'map-cop-describe x' would return a decription string
>> for the xth cop type in the list. The syntax could be something like...
>>
>> 'name,number_of_args,arg1_default,arg1_lowbound,arg2_highbound,...'
>
> To be honest, I'd prefer cop-register to just do all that at once.
> Otherwise I'll need to issue N+1 commands to get all the info I want...

Hmm, as a little background to this issue, the xxx-register commands
were basicly a quick hack to somehow export information about registered
objects. The output these commands produce is meant for human users.
But I guess, as both Janne and you have already parsed these commands in
scripts, their output is also suitable for programs.

One thing that is stopping from adding more stuff to register cmds is
that adding more info will make the output hard to interpret for
human-users. And also, because all the data is in one big list, adding
more per-object info fields later on would break current parsers.

But anyway, suggestions are welcome. I think you and Janne are the best
persons to say what kind of output would be good to have from parsing
point of view. Here's a short list of available information that is
already available in libecasound:

- all object (audio objects, chainops, controllers)
    - keyword ('alsa', '-efl', '-ea', '-el:decimator', etc)
    - name ('ALSA PCM Device', 'Lowpass Filter', 'Amplify', etc)
    - description (longer version of name)
    - number of parameters
    - parameters names

- additional info for chainops (native effects,
  presets, LADSPA plugins) and controllers
    - for each parameter
        - default value
        - description
        - is_bounded_above
        - and if yes: upper_bound
        - bounded_below
        - and if yes: lower_bound
        - toggled (on/off)
        - integer (only integer values)
        - logarithmic (user-if should provide a logarithmic scale)
        - output (parameter is an output parameter)

This is quite a lot of information. I could put export this in one list,
but that would be quite a huge one. But let me know what you'd like to
have, and how to format the information.

>> Yup, these are directly related (they set PARAM_DESCRIPTION fields for the
>> preset that is being defined).
> So, do you have any plan to expose this information through eci? I was just
> wanting to add preset-register support to ecasound.el and noticed
> that I cant find a way to get on the -ppl and -ppu information, so before
> I start doing anything which needs complete rewrite later on, I wanted to
> ask how the schedule is there...

Well, it depends on what kind of output and how many new EIAM commands
are needed. If it's an easy task, I might have time to add this
functionality before 2.2.0. Otherwise it'll take some time.