Re: [ecasound] a question about ecasound and jack

Subject: Re: [ecasound] a question about ecasound and jack
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 16:56:15 EEST

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, j.c.w. wrote:

> i would like to record from another jack client (freqtweak) into
> ecasound. i am using ecasound v2.1dev11. could someone post the
> command line args to get a jack stream into ecasound? it would be most

To record a multi-channel stream:

ecasound -f:32,4,44100 -i jack_multi,freqtweak-pid:out,in -o foo.wav

This will record 4 channels from freqtweaks' first four output ports.
What this does is create new ports:

ecasound:in_1, ecasound:in_2, ..., ecasound:in_4

... and connect these to the freqtweak ports:

freqtweak-pid:out_1 --> ecasound:in_1
freqtweak-pid:out_2 --> ecasound:in_2
freqtweak-pid:out_3 --> ecasound:in_3
freqtweak-pid:out_4 --> ecasound:in_4

To record a single mono stream:

ecasound -i jack_mono,freqtweak-pid,out_1,in -o foo.wav

... where 'out_1' selects the freqtweak port to record.

It's also possible to make ecasound create generic JACK input ports and
use some other app (jackconnect for instance) to actually connect
freqtweak to ecasound. In this case you'd issue:

ecasound -f:32,1,44100 -i jack_generic,in -o foo.wav

Hopefully the above doesn't look too confusing. ;)

PS I'm not 100% sure whether 'freqtweak-pid' is the correct
   client name as I can't run ft right now, but just
   look at jackd's output to get the correct client name.
PPS Ideas for improving the user-interface are welcome!
    For instance, it might make sense to just drop the
    3rd argument from 'jack_multi/jack_generic/jack_mono'
    and always use 'in_X' and 'out_X' as the prefixes.