Re: Fw: Re: [Club-Volunteers] [jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi: [ecasound] Whoa!]

Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [Club-Volunteers] [jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi: [ecasound] Whoa!]
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 00:55:47 EEST

Argh, damn my mailclient's fancy features! Here is the missing beginning part of that message:

BEGIN

> Anybody have comments?

1)I wrote the list of issues, based on many packages that I have packaged
2)I have not used ecasound
3)I have not looked at the packaging of ecasound
4)The comments were (very obviously) not targeted at ecasound (if you
read the ml post), the fact that ecasound RPMS were mentioned just
triggered off a listing of some reasons why people should not put RPMS
from a developer into a distro without at least taking a look at them.
5)I have personally fixed every single one of the problems listed, but
not in ecasound, and I am not going to list which packages they were.
For the packages which are actively maintained, I mailed the author a
diff of the spec explaining why I had made any changes.
6)I asked to be anonymous, simply because people could misread the post
(as has indeed ocurred now).

The suggested approach to reading this article should be for developers
to read as a short list of "Do-nots", rather than feeling targeted by
the distribution for making bad packages. The Mandrake packagers are the
ones responsible for the packaging anyway, they will get flamed on the
cooker list ;-).

It was also done "tongue-in-cheek" style on the mailing list.

END

...and so on. So basically it was an accident. Working late hours in mandrakesoft, I suppose.

janne