Re: [ecasound] goodbye to dynamic libraries...?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] goodbye to dynamic libraries...?
From: Dennis J Houy (djhouy_AT_paw.co.za)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 12:47:46 EEST

> > I for one will be sad to see it go. I have been working on a graphical
> > multi-track recording interface for quite some time, and after suffering
> > many difficulties, decided to use ecasound as the base to work from, now
> > this!
>
> Ok, this is a new development. Can you give some details on how you are
> using ecasound (ECI or libecasound, if the latter, which classes)?

I was using libecasound, but have just been pointed in the direction of
ECI, which is looking promising :) , even though I have only spent all
of 45mins looking at it.

> As a summary, I'd like get rid of the "one year of ivory-tower development
> -> testing&stabilization -> maintenance" cycle (as exemplified by the
> 2.1devX series), and instead release a new ecasound-x.y every time
> a set of features is implemented and tested (time cycle in weeks or
> months). To achieve this speed of development with the current development
> model, I'd have to break the ABI all the time.

I all honesty, this actually sounds like a good solution, and will
probably make Ecasound even better to work with.

I am trying to phase out ALL the Windows recording software we have been
using, and so far I have found Linux software to meet probably 95% of
our requirements. Ecasound is hopefully going to fill that last 5% - all
I have left to say is, "keep up the good work!"

- dennis