Re: [ecasound] 24-bit recording (with M Audio 1010LT/OSS)

Subject: Re: [ecasound] 24-bit recording (with M Audio 1010LT/OSS)
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 18:10:03 EEST

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Craig Meyer wrote:

> Oh heck, I'm sorry guys, I didn't realize that I had
> to set the -f format for both input AND output. So

Actually, you can define it only once, but you need to do it before any
input and output definitions. Ecasound processes the options in the order
they are given. Initially the format is set to the default format (as
specified in the ecasoundrc file). If an -f option is found, it sets the
format for all following inputs and outputs, or until another -f is found.

> this works fine:
> ecasound -f 32,2,44100,i -i /dev/dsp8
> -f 32,2,44100,i -o 32bitfile3.raw
[...]
> Only one out of four bytes is a 0x00 now;
> 90, 54, -5, 0, -35, -9, -8, 0, 92, -37, -5, 0
[...]
> So I seem to be in business. (Right?)

Yes. Most 24bit devices produce/consume 32bit samples with the least
significant byte zero padded. Although not common, there are also devices
that actually use 24bit samples (most notably, USB audio devices that
support 24bit sample resolution).

> --- Craig Meyer <craig_r_meyer_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:
>> What to do? Have any of you heard about people
>> successfully breaking the "16-bit barrier?" Was it
>> with ecasound? Which card and driver? Etc etc.

Ecasound's support for professional soundcards is actually quite good.
For instance, support for ALSA 32bit devices was added in 1.7.5d11 that
was released in April, 2000. Support for 24/32bit extensions in the
OSS/commercial drivers was added in 1.8.5d15 (Dec 2000). Also, many active
ecasound users (including me) use >16bit and >2ch soundcards, so this
functionality gets quite a lot of real-life testing.