[ecasound] 24-bit recording (with M Audio 1010LT/OSS)

Subject: [ecasound] 24-bit recording (with M Audio 1010LT/OSS)
From: Craig Meyer (craig_r_meyer_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 12:02:25 EEST

Dear Ecasounders,

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this,
but.....

I'm trying to do 24-bit recording with my M-Audio
Delta 1010LT using the OSS driver, which certainly
claims to support 24/32-bit recording.

But, when I do some recording:
  ecasound -i /dev/dsp8 -f s32_le,2,44100,i
  -o 32bitfile.raw

and look at the bytes in my output file:
  ... 113, -4, 0, 0, 62, 1, 0, 0, 80, -3, 0, 0 ...

fully half of the bytes are 0x00, which suggests that
ecasound is just padding 16-bit samples with zero's to
make 32-bit samples.

What to do? Have any of you heard about people
successfully breaking the "16-bit barrier?" Was it
with ecasound? Which card and driver? Etc etc.

It's probably some simple little thing that I need to
configure, but for now I'm just stumped. Any helpuful
hints would be much appreciated, believe you me!

Well, until then, thanks in advance,
--Craig Meyer
  President
  Casettes2CDs.com