Re: [ecasound] Q: Removing silence from beginning and end of a file?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Q: Removing silence from beginning and end of a file?
From: Nathan Stewart (nps_AT_mebtel.net)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 16:57:22 EEST

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 03:21, Tapio Kelloniemi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd have two questions about using Ecasound:
> First I want to remove silence from beginning and end of a file. I
> can't use thresold gate, because if volume decreases too much in the
> middle of the file it is truncated too early. I have thought of
> reversing the file and first cutting the end of the file away. Then
> reverse it agian and take the beginning.

The -enm: gate has the logic you need. Use the hold parameter to keep
the window from closing unless the silence is xx ms long. The -enm: gate
won't actually shorten the file, which is what I think you're trying to
do. But using -enm: to do the thinking and -ge: to do the work is
probably your best bet. The next would be to use -gc but that's more
work, and really only suitable if you only need to do this a few times.

I hacked ecasound to add a retriggering gate that is fed from a non
truncating noise gate, and it does this kind of stuff nicely.
Nate