Re: [ecasound] Ecasound Licence issues.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Ecasound Licence issues.
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 00:59:32 EEST

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Tony Leake wrote:

> I have written PHP bindings for the Ecasound Control Interface and have it
> mostly working. I have done this mainly for my own ammusement as I have been
[...]
> I am told that to load a module that is licenced under the GPL you must have
> the permission of the author of the library.
[...]
> So my question is really does it seem reasonable that simply giving
> permission to use Ecasound is enough. And more importantly would you (Kai)
> allow a module to be distributed via PEAR that links to ecasoundc, both to
> offer the ECI in the same way it is used in C, C++, Python etc, and also as
> the basis for some higher level functions (play_mp3(); for example).

Definite yes to both your questions. You also need to ask this from
Aymeric Jeanneau <ajeanneau_at_cvf.fr>, who added the reentry-safe
functions to libecasoundc (ie. the C ECI implementation).

Hmm, I probably should have released the ECI APIs under LGPL from the
start. Using a more strict license doesn't make sense, as you can in any
case get the same functionality by for example piping commands to the
ecasound console-mode interface (or pipe the commands from your non-GPL
software to a python interpreter that runs the GPL'ed pyeca module, etc,
etc). The ECI interfaces just make things easier. Libecasound, however,
will remain under GPL.

Hmm, Aymeric, is LGPL for libecasoundc ok to you?