Re: xRe: [ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names

Subject: Re: xRe: [ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 23:56:04 EEST

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, S. Massy wrote:

>> - use autoconf's existing versioning features to automatically
>> renamed the executables
>> - cd ecasound-x.y.z
>> - ./configure --program-suffix=_x.y.z
> Well, what I propose is nothing more than to merge those last two ways
> together: add the version number as suffix to the executable's name and
> make a symlink to it.

I guess those few that need this can do the symlink manually. I admit
completely versioned installation would be nice, but I think...

>> - add version numbers to all man-pages, resource files and
>> directories
> Hmm... I hadn't thought of that one... But then again, with the proper
> symlinks made it shouldn't be too bad. Of course, the main downside is

... this is just too big of a mess. Unlike the code itself, testing these
installation scripts and other distribution details is tedious work as you
only have access to one or two types of UNIX machines.