Re: [ecasound] nasty noise with -ete

Subject: Re: [ecasound] nasty noise with -ete
From: Bill Allen (ballen_AT_mail.serve.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 16:46:48 EEST

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Bill Allen wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Bill Allen wrote:
> >
> > Someone really should fix this. ;) This is probably the bug described by
> > edi-1, http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/edi.html:
> >
> > (edi-1): Initial reverb-spike with the -ete reverb.
> > - submitted: Anthony Paul Van Groningen, 04.01.2001
> >
> > It'd be great if someone could take a look at this issue.
>
> Sorry - my bad - I should've looked at the EDI's. Has anyone come up with
> a workaround besides post-editing the file?

I completely inadvertently found a workaround - a real hack, but it works!
In any chain containing -ete:..., include -ef4:0.8,0.5. The parameters of
the -ef4 (low-pass filter) don't seem to matter, so if you use
-ef4:1.0,0.5, then you've got essentially a noop filter (all-pass filter).
I tried this trick with the -ef1:5000 and a couple of other filters to no
avail. It only works with -ef4:...! I think this is significant because
Kai's full reply to my original question noted that the author of -ete was
Stefan M. Fendt who is also the author of -ef4: according to the ecasound
man page.

I just haven't found a better sounding reverb effect that that of -ete.
I've heard good things about freeverb3, but it hasn't worked well for me.

Bill