Re: [ecasound] Ecasound.NET

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Ecasound.NET
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 07:19:44 EEST

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, S. Massy wrote:

> Just a quick one: What about authentication and session management?

Well, my current plan is that there won't be any. Basicly either we have
to do it _well_ (so that people can rely on it) or we just ignore whole
thing and force other means to be used. And there are numerous ways to
handle auth&management externally:

1) communication using UNIX sockets

- normal file access methods can be used to limit access;
  usually only the owner of the server process can connect
  (ie. just like JACK)
- always on the same machine only

2) IP connections + firewall

- allow ecasound connections only inside your intranet
- flexible and quite easy to setup (and really, having
  any kind of machine connected to the internet
  without a firewall is just asking for trouble)

3) wide-area IP-connections

- tunnel ecasound connections over public networks
  with ssh, cipe or some other freely available
  VPN-tool

4) open multitrack recording sessions

- anyone with a net connection has free access
  to your recording sessions
- results might be interesting >;D