Re: [ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names

Subject: Re: [ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid_AT_tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 17:51:24 EEST

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> wrote:

> ... ecawave, ecamegapedal and other apps using ecasound would link to
> specific interface versions. When building rpms (and other binary
> packages), separate rpms would be created for the libraries. This would
> make it _much_ easier to install different versions of ecasound and
> related tools.
Not only do I agree with this scheme but I also suggest extending it to
executables as well, just like with Debian.
So when installing, say ecasound v2.1dev8, you'd have the libraries
with their respective major versions appended to their names, but the
executable installed would be called ecasound-2.1dev8. The
/usr/local/bin/ecasound file would be a symlink to your favourite
version of ecasound. That would be a great way to have several versions
of ecasound live in simple harmony together.