[ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names

Subject: [ecasound] embedding interface version numbers in library names
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 12:45:29 EEST

Any objections to using Debian-style library naming conventions
for ecasound libraries?

Currently it's hopelessly messy to deal with multiple library versions,
and especially for end-users that don't want to play with configure
options. What I want to do now is to encode the major version number into
the library name itself. So in 2.1devX we'd have:

- libecasound8
- libkvutils3
- libecasoundc2

... ecawave, ecamegapedal and other apps using ecasound would link to
specific interface versions. When building rpms (and other binary
packages), separate rpms would be created for the libraries. This would
make it _much_ easier to install different versions of ecasound and
related tools.

The only downside that comes to my mind is that we lose support for
libraries implementing multiple interfaces. This is not a big loss as with
C++ maintaining binary compatibility is in any case very, very difficult.
It might work for relatively stable libraries like glibc, but not for
constantly evolving apps like ecasound.

Comments?

PS I do wonder why other projects haven't adopted this approach
   yet...