Re: [ecasound] alsa

Subject: Re: [ecasound] alsa
From: Anthony (avan_AT_uwm.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 08:03:16 EEST

* Lance Hoffmeyer <lance_AT_augustmail.com> [Apr 17 02 23:46]:
> I am on a Debian Woody system using ecaound 2.0.3 with alsa 0.9.
> I am unable to get any playback by using
>
> ecasound -i:/mnt/music/Recordings/Parade02092002.wav -o:alsa,0,0
>
> using
>
> ecasound -i:/mnt/music/Recordings/Parade02092002.wav -o:alsahw,0,0 allows playback
>
> What is the command I would give if I wished to use the ICE1712 card? How do I
> give only the cardname?
>
> -o:alsa,ICE1712 ?
>
> Lance

Did you set up a .asoundrc? Something like:

# ice1712 HW Device (NO FORMAT CONVERSION WILL TAKE PLACE)
pcm.ice1712 {
   type hw
   card 1
}
ctl.ice1712 {
   type hw
   card 1
}
# Automatic sample conversion etc...
pcm.d44 {
   type plug
   slave.pcm ice1712
   route_policy copy
}
ctl.d44 {
   type hw
   card 1
}

I can then do:

# ecasound -i:my.wav -o:alsa,ice1712

but the hw layer requires that we take care of formats matching (use
-f). With the plugin layer we can do:

# ecasound -i:my.wav -o:alsa,d44

and format conversion will be taken care of by alsa. The names I
choose were arbitrary...choose at will. BTW, the ice1712 in your config
appears to be card 1, not card 0. Hope this helps.

--ant