[ecasound] Re: [ardour-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] some maybe good news about timeouts

Subject: [ecasound] Re: [ardour-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] some maybe good news about timeouts
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 15:50:34 EEST

>> 1) will cause there to be a delay between the direct monitored signal
>> and the existing material, even though the recording itself will be
>> perfectly in sync.
>>
>yes, and if I understand correctly, the other currently-recording
>musicians will be late as well, because each person is hearing him early,
>the rest late.

no, everyone is listening to all live signals via direct monitoring path(s).

>> Yes. We have frames-per-interrupt to process all the data associated
>> with a given interrupt. Every client has to be finished by the time
>> the deadline is reached, and they do not run in parallel (left as an
>> exercise for the overzealous jack-dev member).
>>
>yes but is each client made to play fair or does jack have leniency?

there is no leniency. i tried to add it to the source code when i
started looking at the timeout issue, and its too hard. if a client is
late, what do you do? it seems easy at first, but when i tried to
actually implement it, there were some nasty issues. however, i may
try to revisit this to help with occasional spikes in a client's
process() time.

--p