Re: [ecasound] using rme96 with alsa; four tests

Subject: Re: [ecasound] using rme96 with alsa; four tests
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall_AT_uu.net)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 12:54:44 EEST

Hi,

With ecasound, if you want to tell it to use the hardware, you have to do

alsahw,0,0 and alsahw,0,1

You should be aware that the hardware layer is pretty strict on what it
wants. I recommend using jack for the rme series cards, the alsa support
in ecasound doesn't seem to get it right. You'll want to use the CVS
versions of ecasound, jack, and alsa. If you are using 0.5.x alsa, then
you'll most certainly be having problems with any rme card given that Paul
basically rewrote the driver for the current version.

Jack can be found at jackit.sf.net, alsa can be found at alsa.sf.net, and
ecasound can be found wherever you got it. For alsa,

check out modules alsa-kernel, alsa-driver, alsa-lib, alsa-utils, and
alsa-oss.

Run ./cvscompile from within alsa-driver, alsa-lib, alsa-utils, and
alsa-oss. You'll need to make install right after a successful cvscompile
in each of these, so
cd alsa-driver
./cvscompile
make install
cd ../alsa-lib
./cvscompile
make install

etc

After successfully building these, install jack's CVS. I recommend you
join the jack mailing list since it is under quite a bit of
development. After installing jack, build a fresh ecasound, destroying
your previous source tree or moving it out of the way.

Good luck

_J