Re: [ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] some maybe good news about timeouts

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] some maybe good news about timeouts
From: kelly george hirai (khirai_AT_unm.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 18:50:44 EEST

i don't think i matters if your pre-ecorded material is late. you can sync
it with your recording tracks later. (actually there is no way around
this, you or the computer will have to sync it because you are using
buffers) if the performer's signal gets to late, they will have trouble
performing. IMHO if you don't have to process the performer's signal, give
them a straight analog signal path from an outboard mixer and tap into it
for the recording, reverb, etc...

on the subject of metronome bleed, get headphones with closed baffles. i
got these things that look like you'd use them for helocopter pilots,
retrofitted some nice drivers in them, work great.

my 2 cents.... hope you are well. k

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Paul Davis wrote:

> >um please excuse my ignorance, but I'd like to understand this a little
> >better. In the case where 0-latency is provided by the card, you're
> >really monitoring the rec-enabled tracks and on the friend output channels
> >for those tracks.
> >
> >I would like to understand from a musician's point of view how listening
> >to his vocal track, and only his vocal track, actually benefits him. If
> >others are singing, he won't hear them, if other tracks are playing, he
> >won't hear them, I just don't get it.
>
> there are 2 possible ways to provide a monitor mix:
>
> 1) use zero latency monitoring and add the prerecorded material
> 2) collect the input signal and mix with the prerecorded material
>
> 1) will cause there to be a delay between the direct monitored signal
> and the existing material, even though the recording itself will be
> perfectly in sync.
>
> 2) will cause there to be a delay between signal generation by the talent
> and it being audible in the monitor mix.
>
> In both cases, we'd like the delay to be as small as possible. So i
> basically retract what I said about it not really mattering. OK?
>
> >as an aside, do _ALL_ jack clients need to run within the frames_per_cycle
> >time?
>
> Yes. We have frames-per-interrupt to process all the data associated
> with a given interrupt. Every client has to be finished by the time
> the deadline is reached, and they do not run in parallel (left as an
> exercise for the overzealous jack-dev member).
>
> --p
> message to <ecasound-list-request_AT_wakkanet.fi>.

kelly, angel, riley & cameron hirai (505) 243-6417
300 sycamore ne albuquerque nm 87106 usa http://www.unm.edu/~khirai