[ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] some maybe good news about timeouts

Subject: [ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] some maybe good news about timeouts
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 16:57:22 EEST

>um please excuse my ignorance, but I'd like to understand this a little
>better. In the case where 0-latency is provided by the card, you're
>really monitoring the rec-enabled tracks and on the friend output channels
>for those tracks.
>
>I would like to understand from a musician's point of view how listening
>to his vocal track, and only his vocal track, actually benefits him. If
>others are singing, he won't hear them, if other tracks are playing, he
>won't hear them, I just don't get it.

there are 2 possible ways to provide a monitor mix:

   1) use zero latency monitoring and add the prerecorded material
   2) collect the input signal and mix with the prerecorded material

1) will cause there to be a delay between the direct monitored signal
   and the existing material, even though the recording itself will be
   perfectly in sync.

2) will cause there to be a delay between signal generation by the talent
   and it being audible in the monitor mix.

In both cases, we'd like the delay to be as small as possible. So i
basically retract what I said about it not really mattering. OK?

>as an aside, do _ALL_ jack clients need to run within the frames_per_cycle
>time?

Yes. We have frames-per-interrupt to process all the data associated
with a given interrupt. Every client has to be finished by the time
the deadline is reached, and they do not run in parallel (left as an
exercise for the overzealous jack-dev member).

--p