Re: [ecasound] Problems with ecasound 2.1.dev7

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problems with ecasound 2.1.dev7
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 13:14:24 EEST

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Julien Patrick Claassen wrote:

> I just installed ecasound v2.1.dev7. And then I tried to use ecaplay to
> play a 16khz, 16bit, mono-wav-file. It gave me something like:
> DBC failed... and something about the loop-size, the playback was much too
> slow and really bad.

Can you reproduce the problem and send me the error message? You might
also want to try 2.1dev8 (current-CVS). It fixes quite a few bugs (see

http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/history.html

). Unfortunately I haven't had time to finish the engine level changes in
2.1dev8 and release it. With a bit of luck I can get back to work sometime
this month.

> Then I configured it again without dbc. But got the same kind of
> problems. So now I switched back to 2.0.4. But has anyone had problems of
> the kind?
> What is dbc?

DBC refers to "design by contract", which again is a software development
methodology. Enabling DBC doesn't have any functional effect to how
ecasound works, but is meant for debugging and triggering warnings if
something unexpected happens. Basicly ecasound source code is full of
contracts which describe the programmer's intent (ie. what the program
_should_ do). If you enable dbc with --enable-dbc, these contracts are
checked during runtime. If some contract is not met, a warning
is issued (like the one you got from ecaplay).