Re: [ecasound] Delay effect

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Delay effect
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 12:58:47 EEST

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Robert Vetter wrote:

> I've been trying to use ecasound for creating long delay loops. It didn't
> work very well. I used the -etd effect. I've noticed that the feedback
> parameter, as decribed in the manual, is ignored (I had a look at the source
> code as well).

Are you sure you are using the right ecasound version? Feedback param was
added to -etd in 2.1dev0.

ecasound.1 in 2.0 and older:
 -etd:delay-time-msec,surround-mode,number-of-delays,mix-%

ecasound.1 in 2.1dev0 and newer:
 -etd:delay-time-msec,surround-mode,number-of-delays,mix-%,feedback-%

> Another problem was that when trying longer delay times, let's say 10
> seconds, my system started swapping like crazy, although I've got 196 MB
> memory.

What's the exact parameters you used? At least something like
-etd:10000,0,1,50,50 works fine on my test system (memory consumption
increases by 3MB which is reasonable for cd-audio 44100*4bytes/sec*10 ~=
1.8MB). I did the test with ecasound 2.1dev8 (current CVS).