Re: [ecasound] edi-18: removal of implicit resampling

Subject: Re: [ecasound] edi-18: removal of implicit resampling
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 23:43:20 EET

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, S. Massy wrote:

> In short, I think it's a damn good idea. :)

This has received such good feedback that I've started to implement it
right away. It might take for a while before the CVS settles down again.
The current diff between CVS-HEAD and my local directory is already 5000
lines. I'll try to commit first set of changes already today. I've made a
few big changes:

- support for old ALSA versions dropped; I just got tired of maintaining
  such a huge amount of code; in any case I couldn't test them; this
  affects 0.3.x, 0.4.x and 0.5.x versions; in any case old versions of
  ecasound still work with them
- I'm hunting down all places in libecasound where information about
  sampling rate is stored, and if possible, try to reimplement
  them without depending on the srate info
- optimizing the resampling code out of core engine loops
  (might provide a small speedup)

... in other words, in the near future CVS-tree might be a bit unstable.

> But maybe there are some users who actually find this resampling thing
> useful. Personally I use sox whenever I want to resample something and

I think the dedicated resample audio object type can provide a much better
way for resampling (for instance taking the resample algorithm from sox).

Btw; if you haven't noticed, sox and ecasound share the same CVS server.
If you checkout the whole 'sound' module, you get the newest sox and all
ecasound modules (ecasound, ecamegapedal and ecawave).