[ecasound] Timidityless midi and other issues

Subject: [ecasound] Timidityless midi and other issues
From: Nolan Darilek (nolan_d_AT_bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 09:14:24 EET

I have a card which is capable of handling soundfonts. As such, I'd
like to load additional fonts into other banks for a more diverse
sound. I use midi to create backing tracks, so this would be extremely
useful for me.

I've noticed that the latest version of midge supports multiple
banks. So now I'm wondering if I can somehow use my sblive soundfonts
in ecasound? I can use pmidi to play the sounds using the ALSA
drivers, but AFAIK there isn't a way to snag the actual audio output
from ALSA and store it as a wave, or is there? I can achieve some
success by setting the card's master output to capture, starting pmidi
in the background and running ecasound with /dev/dsp as input and a
wave as output, but this isn't elegant and inserts random space in the
beginning. Is there a better way?

I've also noticed some looping issues. I first wanted to loop a
certain section of my backing track to jam over. The -y option seems
to be ignored with midis; they always begin from the start of the
midi. Furthermore, I can't seem to get looping to work at
all. Converting the midi to a wav and running:

ecasound -i backing.wav -y 20 -t 2.5 -tl

only plays 2.5 seconds; it doesn't loop anymore. Am I doing something
wrong? This used to work IIRC. BTW, I'm on 2.1d7. I'll try 2.04 in a
few minutes.

Thanks.