Re: [ecasound] trouble panning with -epp

Subject: Re: [ecasound] trouble panning with -epp
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 22:04:33 EET

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Bill Allen wrote:

> Thanks to both of you for the replies which I have tried and do work. I
> have to admit that I'm a little confused by it though. From the man page:
[...]
> -epp:right-%
> Normal pan effect. Balance value of 0 means to pan signal fully left and
> 100 fully right. If the panned signal is a stereo signal, left and right
> channels aren't mixed together. Use the -erm and -erc effects to force
> conversion to mono before panning.
[...]
> That implied to me that I needed to use mono signals for the horns to get
> them to pan correctly, but your responses seem to imply that only stereo
> signals pan correctly. What am I missing here (other than a brain :-)

The man page entry is indeed somewhat confusing. I changed it now to:

--cut--
dit(-epp:right-%)
Stereo panner. Changes the relative balance between the first
two channels. When 'right-%' is 0, only signal on the left
(1st) channel is passed through. Similarly if it is '100',
only right (2nd) channel is let through.
--cut--