Re: [ecasound] configure.in gives errors

Subject: Re: [ecasound] configure.in gives errors
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 18:08:05 EET

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Tim Westbrook wrote:

> After downloading the ecasound-cvs package I found that
> ./cvscompile failed during ./configure due to some missing quoting
> chars [] in configure.in , maybe this is due to my autoconf version.
> (which I recently upgraded in order to install ardour.)

Probably is related to the autoconf version (I'm still using autoconf
2.13). Anyways, I've applied your fixes to the CVS-tree.

> afterwords I was able to run configure :). I have attached the output
> of "diff -C 5 configure.in congfiure.tim". (ecasound.patch) Is this
> the proper format to submit patches?

It's of course a matter of taste, but most people (including me) prefer
the so-called unified diff format. The common syntax is "diff -ruN
configure.in configure.tim". It's popular because it's the most readable
diff output (the one with + and - signs preceding modified lines). But at
least I have no problems accepting patches in other formats. It's not
really that big of a deal (unless you're sending a patch to Torvalds or
other kernel hackers; they are quite strict when it comes to patches ;)).

If you have a local CVS-tree of the sources, and you've modified some of
the files locally, you can easily get a diff with "cvs diff -u somefile".
If you omit the filename, you get a recursive diff of all locally modified
files in the source tree.